Thursday, October 1, 2015

Much Needed Rest Day

No walking today! Well, as little as possible anyway! Jim and I scheduled a day off so we could take advantage of a bigger city and do some sightseeing and a little shopping. Just as we walked into the market square we saw Andy and Ed going back on the C2C. We first met up with them in Keld and again in Reeth. When we walked into Richmond yesterday we heard someone yelling "Hello, hello" and it was Andy. His wife had met him in town to bring him clean clothes and have an evening together.  It's really fun to meet up with people from the hike. We probably won't see them again but we hope to connect online.


Originally we planned to buy a few momentos here and ship them back but when we went to the post office they told us it would be about $100 to send a medium size box. We reconsidered, bought a really nice duffle bag for 5 pounds (about $7.50) at a thrift shop and Sherpa Van will deliver it to our last hotel on the walk.

That works well plus gives us a chance to pare down our suitcase. Stuff for two people for 21 days in one suitcase is a challenge.  Getting all of it back in and closing the zipper every morning a bigger challenge.

ALL the clothes I brought fit in a 2 gallon ziploc bag. Jim on the other hand brought clothes not only for the walk but also for fox hunting, a polo match and should we be invited to tea with the Queen! Not to mention 20 pairs of socks. No wonder our bag is so heavy.

Early on I decided I like walking in my Adidas Kanadia trail shoes rather than hiking boots. They are much more flexible and comfortable going up and down hills. Jim has been dealing with blisters for several days but I have been blister-free. Jim operates on the theory that he wants his feet to stay dry so he insists on hiking boots with gore-tex. My theory is that if we're walking in water the water will come in over the top and then you want shoes that will let the water out. Two different ideas about shoes, but only one of us is dealing with blisters.  Just saying.  I am the ONLY person I've seen walking in regular athletic shoes though. Anyway, I took a risk and sent my hiking boots on ahead to the last stop. I just hope I don't wear out my Adidas before the end of the trip. I also sent about 10 pounds of other items we haven't used. Hopefully it makes the mornings a little easier.

Richmond is a lovely little town. The market square is kind of a big circle with shops and restaurants both in the middle and surrounding it.  I got really excited when I saw a shop called The Sewing Room, then disappointed to find out it was a dry cleaner/tailoring shop.



We walked around the castle. It was built in Norman times and was used as recently as the first world war to house conscientious objectors. Once again it was a beautiful day and we took full advantage by spending most of it outside.



From the top of the hill you can see the River Swale and the entire valley.


We're staying at The Castle House, which is right on the castle walk.  It is a lovely B & B. The owners, Lucy and Ian, really go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Almost all of our accommodations have been very nice so that helps at the end of long days of walking.

Dinner was at Alessando's Hideaway and it was fantastic.  Probably the best meal we've had here. It is a Sicilian restaurant and a nice change from pub food.

I probably should mention how good the food has been. I think English food has gotten a bad rap but the pubs are now going out of their way to tell people that all there food is made fresh, nothing packaged, and that it's locally sourced. Talk about farm to table. They can tell you exactly which farm the beef is from! We've had some very good meals.

Our time off is too short (especially since the Packers play at 1:30 a.m. here and I know I'll get up to check online to see how it's going!) and tomorrow it will be back on the trail.  Only six more days of walking so we're getting close to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment